Sunday, April 18, 2010

Why do we put ourselves through this??!! Where's the courthouse?!?!

So, as I start the process of planning for my wedding several things become very apparent to me:

1. Weddings are NOT about you, your desires, your dreams or your fiance.

2. Weddings are NOT inexpensive.

3. Wedding planning is a pain in the ass.

4. Wedding planners are not all the same and not all happy with their line of work- which is a shame.

5. Weddings ARE about your family, their desires and their friends.



So, when we talk about family, their desires and the images they want to present to their friends, let me just tell you what will be happening at my wedding.

Let's see, for my fiance's family....we will be having a Rabbi officiating the ceremony and the betrothal ceremony (yes, you read that right.....apparently, that still goes on in today's Jewish world... ). I'm okay with this because there is still a "new and exciting" factor with having a Rabbi officiate. I know nothing about what this ceremony involves....I just know that we get to break glass, speak Hebrew and be under a cute canopy for the ceremony. :)

For MY family, we'll be having a Rabbi officiating...yup. For those of you who know my mother, you can imagine how excited she was when I told her that I needed her to find me a Rabbi for the ceremony. She screamed on the phone and has been working hard to find Jewish music for the reception. If anything, I've had to restrain her quite a bit because I don't want my wedding to resemble something from "Fiddler on the Roof" or have "Hava Nagila" playing all night....

For those of you attending....don't worry, you won't have to carry Vlad and I around the roomon chairs or learn to dance in a cirlce to " Hava Nagila".....just prepare for an awesome, traditional ceremony and a GREAT time at the reception with....... (this part makes Vlad and I happy..)...4 hours of OPEN BAR!! Yippee!!

1 comment: